Parents might resent the idea of using a snow blower when there are teenage kids in the household. But in cases when you might have a long driveway full of snow, you would not mind having an inexpensive and easy to use electric snow blower. This is a very useful kind of home appliance which can be handles very easily and requires least of maintenance.
Taking longevity into perspective, an electric blower will not cost you as much because it does not require oil, fuel or any regular kind of servicing etc. for the smooth functioning of the appliance.
The only extra cost that can be added to the initial cost of the appliance is that it requires a cord and an extension wire with a length of 100 to 150 feet along with a heavy-duty quality to ensure strength. Use of power cord is not at all difficult if a fixed pattern of work is pre=determined and followed.
According to analysis and comparison by experts, electric snow blowers are best suited for snow up to six inches thick and, if used properly, can throw snow to a significant distance.
Table of Contents
- TYPES OF ELECTRIC SNOW BLOWER
- What to look for in an electric snowblower?
- Top 5 Best Electric Snow Blower Reviews 2019
- Best electric snow blower under $100
- Best electric snow blower under $200
- Best electric snow blower around & under $300
- Main Types Of Snow Blowers
TYPES OF ELECTRIC SNOW BLOWER
1. Power shovel:
A power shovel is a bucket-equipped machine which is usually electrically powered and is generally used for purposes of digging and loading earth. In the perspective of the topic, this is usually used to clear snow from places which has high thickness of snow accumulated. This has special designs which support this kind of heavy machinery. The important part of its construction involves a revolving deck with a power plant and a driving as well as controlling mechanism for smooth functioning. Along with that a counterweight is also present which allows best of balance for the machine while operation.
2. Corded snow blower:
This type of snow blower is widely used for purposes of blowing snow off. These are so called because they have cords attached for power transmission. These have a very good quality of being totally safe from cases where there might be a breakdown of the blower due to power shortage. The regular power being transmitted to the blower keeps it going throughout the process. These also have the added advantage of being flexible with respect to power of blowing away of snow. By switching between the various power levels it is possible to throw snow to as much distance as required. This is also very helpful in case of thick ice. The only drawback and problem that you could have would be of the very fact that it is corded. This is because while blowing snow this may cause a problem. However, this can be handled pretty well by following a fixed pattern and blowing snow while there is no snow falling.
3. Cordless snow blower:
With the advent of technology, everything is becoming cordless and preference of people is also pretty much inclined towards the new technologies. Hence cordless electric snowblower are also a very good possession you could have in your possession. This type of snow blowers does not have cords and can be used wire-free. This is most suitable for places around the house which are quite further away and would be quite difficult to access with a corded blower. Along with that it is also useful at times where due to heavy snow fall or any other reason there is no supply of electricity. This is useful to blow snow which is not very thick. Given its easy portability, it can be used anywhere and requires least of muscle strength.
What to look for in an electric snowblower?
Before choosing an appropriate snow blower for your household you might want to engross yourselves in these minute details.
- Easy steering: this is a very important attribute that you should ensure in your product. Most of the models have handlebar triggers that ensure disengaging process and some others also have the ability wherein one wheel moves slower than the other to help smooth turns.
- Drive system: it is always recommended to check the driving system of the model. Most of the models offer multiple speeds and transmission systems. The most suitable must be chosen.
- Friendly controls: since a lot of snow might sometimes make it a tedious job so it is always recommended to check if the controls are in friendly to you and you are comfortable with the position of the controls in the model.
- Features that matter: other features like power, throwing volume nd distance etc. can also be browsed through I order to ensure a satisfied result.
Top 5 Best Electric Snow Blower Reviews 2019
|Snow Joe 323E||14 x 58.7 x 14.6||13.8 lbs||10-amp||13/6||20 ft||400 lbs/min||3.8/5|
|WEN 5662 Snow Blaster 18-Inch 13.5-Amp||40 x 18 x 37||32 lbs||13.5-amp||18/7.8||20 ft||490 lbs/min||4.2/5|
|Greenworks 20-Inch 13 Amp Corded Snow Thrower 2600502||31 x 21.6 x 37||30 lbs||13-amp||20/10||20 ft||-||3.9/5|
|Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E||45 x 19 x 26||34 lbs||15-amp||18/10||20 ft||720 lbs/min||4.1/5|
|Toro 38381||36.2 x 18 x 47||24 lbs||15-amp||18/12||30 ft||700 lbs/min||3.8/5|
Best electric snow blower under $100
1 – Snow Joe 323E 13-Inch 10-Amp Electric Snow Shovel
- The Snow Joe 323E snow blower offers instant start to the users.
- It possesses a paddle auger rotor.
- The motor embedded in the machine is 10-amp operating.
- The clearing width offered is 13 inch.
- One could achieve 6 inch deep snow cut from this snow blower.
- It throws the snow to a maximum distance of 20 feet.
- Plowing capacity of maximum 400 pounds per minute.
- Has a very comfortable design as well as prevents unauthorized usage.
Snow Joe 323E snow blower is really very advantageous to those who have to work hard every day for removing the ice from their backyard or the nearby areas of their houses. One of the biggest advantages of this snow blower is its ice throwing capacity. It is capable of throwing around 400 pounds of ice in a minute which is really remarkable. Another thing to mention is the design of the device which is really very handy and makes it easy to operate.
The only disadvantage that this device has is related to its blades. It would be necessary to mention the fact that the blades installed in the machine are really very fragile. So one needs to take care while using it for removing ice. Make sure that it does not come in contact with a really hard substance, which may damage its blades.
What People are talking about it?
Snow Joe has been receiving positive comments from the users as it has turned out to be very useful for them. However some of them have complained about the metal blades as well as the weight of the machine. But apart from these cons, this snow blower has been loved by the users.
Overall, Snow Joe 323E is a nice snow blower which is handy, efficient as well as easy to use. It could really assist you in reducing your work load and doing the snow removing job for you faster and better. If you are a regular person facing this snow deposition problem every now and then, Snow Joe could be a decent choice to overcome this problem.
Best electric snow blower under $200
2 – WEN 5662 Snow Blaster 18-Inch 13.5-Amp Electric Snow Thrower ( I Highly recommended )
The WEN 5662 18 inches electric snow thrower is a valuable machine that is highly helpful when you are having a lot of snow around you. In many countries, a lot of snow falls and there is a great difficulty to continue the path of traffic after snow fall. Plenty of times it has been seen that the cars are stuck in the snow and people cannot move an inch from there. So in these cases, this snow blowers help you in removing the snow and clear your path for the movement of your vehicle.
This valuable machine possesses the following features:
- 20 Foot Throw Distance
The Worx WG650 Electric SnowBlowers can throw the snow to a great distance. This is a snow blower with the throw of 20 foot. That means, the snow this machine pick is thrown approximately 20 feet away from the point. In the terms of snow throwing, it is considered as a huge distance.
- 180 Degree Rotating Chute
The 180 degrees rotating chute allows you to throw the snow in any direction you want. This means you can throw the snow in a semi circle.
- Chute Adjusters
It comes with the enormous chute adjusters which are extremely helpful when the matter comes to the handling of the chute. You can easily move it in any direction without applying much force.
- Other Features
- There are clamps which are fitted in this machine. These allow you to have an easy fixing of your machine as you like.
- This machine is extremely easy to operate. There are no complications in running this amazing snow blower. You can operate it with great ease.
- The wheels are one of the most considerable parts of this machine. These wheels are designed to aid the movement of the snow blower in every possible way. These wheels take very less space.
This machine has been designed by manufacturers to aid its use in every possible ways. This snow blower is having long handles that helps a person in moving the blower. The handle has the handlebar clamps which help in adjusting the height. The handles can be enlarged and a person does not have to bend on the machine to move it. Instead, by the help of enlarged handles, the snow blower can be moved while standing straight.
The snow blower has an electric cord that is not very extendable. The snow blowers should have batteries or large cords but this one does not have any battery and the cord comes with the machine also can’t be extended to great distance.
What People are Talking About it?
According to the point of view of different people, this snow blower works great. They state that the blower work same as it is stated by the manufacturers. It has all the things which are included in a good snow blower. They also said that it is of great help and works effectively. Moreover, the people also made the comments that it is quick in working and with this blower, they were able to work fast.
This is simply an amazing snow blower and a thing of great use. You can use it for your homes and even outside your homes if you have the power supply available. In short, the product is having many useful features. Unlike other snow blowers, this is simple to use and it is of great help. There are a number of things this blower has that makes your work easy. You can move this machine easily and it is a guarantee that you will not face any problem while you are working with this classy device.
3 – Greenworks 20-Inch 13 Amp Corded Snow Thrower 2600502
- It has a 20 foot snow throwing distance.
- It comes with a 180 degree adjustable chute with comfortable handles with alterable height.
- It has an 20 inch wide mouth and a clearing capacity of up to 10 inches deep in a single pass.
- GreenWorks 260052 has a collapsible tool-less handlebar mounted with a manual chute control that lets you have all the functions under your fingers.
- The handle bar also has quick clamps for adjustments and assembling.
- The motor is a 13 amp electrically driven Auger version with metal blades attached that are all rubber clad.
- The best thing about GreenWorks 260052 is its stellar ability to clear off an ample amount of snow very quickly and effectively in just a maximum of four passes using its wide 20 inch mouth.
- It flings away the snow to a distance of up to 20 feet within a small period of time.
- The handle-mounted control panel is also a boon for the users as they are left with no job to do except for taking this product for a walk.
- Amongst the very few disadvantages of this great product is the sensitive and delicate state of its blades.
- This product, if used over a hard and terribly uneven surface, can get its Auger blades easily damaged or broken.
- Another drawback is that it does not have a headlight for night time cleaning.
This product has been received by many with enthusiasm which has later turned to satisfaction. The reviews by its users have been very positive. A few negatives that are there are related to its delicate Auger blades and in a fewer cases, its price. Another drawback that has been pointed at is the absence of headlight over its mouth. But the positive feedback is, by large, in majority.
Best electric snow blower around & under $300
4 – Snow Joe Ultra SJ623E 18-Inch 15-Amp Electric Snow Thrower with Light
Knowing the specifications of a certain product is always a good thing to do. If you know the physical and other such aspects of the product it always helps you get a fair image of the product even without taking a look.
Specifications for the SJ623E are:
- Capacity/min – Up to 720 pounds / 327kgs
- Throw distance – Up to 25 feet or 7.5 meters
- Clearing width – 18 inches
- Cut depth for snow (in one pass) – 10 inches
- Amp/Motor – 15 ampere / Snow Joe
- Chute control – Manual 180 degree chute rotation
- Rotor – 4 steel blades
- Ideal place of deployment – Medium and large driveways/walkways
- Weight – 34 pounds / 15.4kgs
- Warranty – 2 year full warranty
- Special features – Safety switch prevents it from automatically starting, Compact wheels for easy mobility, halogen light of 20 wattage, Clean tool
The SJ623E is well suited for throwing snow from large driveways and walkways, especially when snowfalls are a lot heavier. Therefore, this product is basically a well built one meant for heavy usage and does not fail to include some interesting features that make it more attractive to prospective buyers.
Some of the standout features of the SJ623E that are worth mentioning are :
Motor of 15 Ampere
The 15Amp electric motor in the SJ623E is just worthy of praise. For most part, the clearing ability that this product boasts of is typically owed to the powerful motor that runs it. If you feel that a 15Amp motor isn’t exactly much, you should know that much of the cleaning is owed to its efficiency, which is something a lot of people tend to miss out on when buying. Higher amperage would result in you having to pay more taxes. Your SJ623E won’t let you down one bit when it comes to cleaning snow. This is what it does best so there’s no point in questioning. However, extremely heavy slush or large chunks of ice can be a problem at times. In that case, you should actually be willing to pay more to get something of a higher power.
However, it should be reminded that you get extremely good services (for the lower power and also the less price that you end up paying). The motor derives its power from electricity so there is no point of buying oil and gas mixtures. In fact, that something you’d be glad to save on. Starting the device isn’t a hassle and just a push of a button and the pull of a lever is enough. The off/on lever is actually a very good safety feature and that helps. If you let it go, the device automatically stops. Operating the device even with thick gloves in the cold shouldn’t be a problem either. The electric cord can be a problem of sorts, considering that it is an electric device. It is also advisable that you get a winter chord extension albeit by shelling out a few more dollars. This will make it stay flexible.
Clearing width & throw
The SJ623E does a very fine job at cleaning some heavy stuff that might accumulate in the vicinity of your house. Talking of which, it can remove slush up to 18 inches wide and 10 inches deep. If you are thinking about those mentioned figures and you seem to be skeptical, then you should also know that it actually lives up to those figures in real. Therefore, surely not a good piece of equipment one can say.
On the throwing aspect of the device, it is well capable of tossing snow up to 30 feet. It is known to remove snow at the rate of 720 pounds per minute. Thus a quick estimation shows that a 15×30 foot space can be cleaned up in just 20 minutes.
The rotors are made of steel and that adds to the quality of the product. When it comes to removing gravel and small rocks, this won’t crack and thus is far batter then its plastic counterparts.
The presence of a halogen lamp in the SJ623E is a very useful aspect. It actually helps if you have to clear outdoors when it’s dark.
As mentioned through above this product boasts quite a number of advantages. It has a powerful motor, offers good cleaning capacity and this is basically what people will always look for when buying a snow blower. The halogen lamp also does fancy up things a little bit.
Although the product is well suited to do the job of clearing snow, and that is exactly what it does well, it can be said to be slightly bulky. Also, the electric cord could be a problem for some people.
5 – Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower
- Has a metallic frame, with a base of 18 inch clearance and 12 inch intake height, in a light weight design .
- It has a very powerful motor embedded which works on 15 amps of electric power.
- The powerful motor combined with a strategic design works off a massive 700 lbs of snow in a single minute.
- It employs Power Curve technology that provides a 160 degree adjustable chute for optimal snow-throwing control.
- It requires no gas or oil to start, just press a few buttons and say goodbye to heaps of snow.
- The handle is a full-bail lift handle with adjustable height and easy assembly.
- It also comes with a zip deflector attached to its handlebar.
The greatest advantage associated with this product is its capacity of clearing away 700 lbs of snow, in a single pass, per minute in 18 inch wide and 10 inch deep strokes. Other benefits include integrated cord lock system that ensures that the power cord is not pulled out accidentally. The zip deflector lets lock the ratchet deflector with a touch of your hand and adjust height between low, high or mid.
There are very few disadvantages with this device but they are easily compensated for by the benefits it offers. The drawbacks are regarding the short length of the power cord with which an additional 12 gauge outdoor extension is recommended. Also, no headlight is provided over the base and the blades are delicate enough to get damaged when used for hard snow.
How to use it properly?
The device is, at large, easy to use and comfortable to handle. It is best suited for light and fluffy snow. It requires no gas or oil, so all you need to do is just press the start button, set the zip deflector for the desired height, set the angles and handle height and you are good to go. It would be better if you use a 12 gauge outdoor rated extension cord to cover longer distances.
Customer reviews ( Toro 38381)
Reviews by the user of this product are full of appreciation and consumer satisfaction. It has met with praise and recommendations largely. There have been just a few notions on which slight disappointment was seen: absence of headlight over the base of the blower, average strength of the blades and the price. But these responses were overshadowed by the positive ones by the users.
Main Types Of Snow Blowers
There are many high-rated snow blowers available in the market, but going through snow blower reviews makes the way for a smooth buy. But, what is a snow blower? A snow thrower or snow blower is an instrument utilized for taking off snow from an unwanted area like a driveway, roadway, hill-stations, footpath or houses. The journey of snow blower machine was contemplated in the late 1800’s by some innovators. Arthur Sicard first discovered the self-propelled rotary snow blower in 1925. Nowadays, the highly efficient snow blowers that come in the market provide durability, accuracy and make the snow removing work very easy. It reduces the physical effort to clear away snow. It can use either diesel engine, or a gasoline or electric power. It is a winter duty vehicle that is decorated with snow removal instruments and solves this type of problem easily. So here’s a look into what you should be considering while buying a snow blower.
Snow blowers can be classified into two main types which are stated below.
- Gasoline-powered snow blowers – This type of snow blower can be accessible into two categories called single stage snow blower and two stage snow blower. It is that preferred selection in case you have a long driveway. It is also good choice for the areas with heavy snowfall. It falls on the expensive ($500 to $2500) side of things.
- Electric snow blowers – These are inexpensive snow blowers. Their price range is from $100 to $400. It is simple to move around due to its low weight. It does not pollute the air or the sound like gasoline powered snow blowers. Thus, they can be said to be eco-friendly. These also require less storage space.
Properties to look for :
- Nowadays, some modern snow blowers come with an electric start option. It is very easy to start the machine and control.
- Two stage snow blowers accentuate one-hand interlock controls that grant to maintain the whole device or system with one hand and another hand is free to operate the chute.
- Snow blower with the track drive system is very popular. These track drive system is the tank of the snow removal. They are appropriate for gravel driveways or inclines that gravitates ice up over the night.
- Some two stage snow blowers can lift over 300 pounds. Power steering affords to maneuver these snow beasts via the snow.
- Snow blower utilizes drift cutters that assists direct taller snow into the auger housing.
- Two stage snow blowers uses hand warmers that maintain the blood flowing during those snowy temperatures.
- It should be reasonable priced, efficient and more convenient.
Differences between snow thrower and snow blower
Though the two terms “snow thrower” and “snow blower” are used in the same issue, but they have few basic differences.
- A snow thrower specifies a single stage snow removal device that gathers the snow in one movement and throws it out the ramp with the continuation of the motion. The single stage snow blower is very simple to use because of their low weight. They can come in contact with the land as it is made of plastic or hard rubber. It is also inexpensive.
- A snow blower specifies a two stage snow removal device. It utilizes two steps to blow snow. The auger is made of metal that drives into the snow from the land and beds it to a high speed impeller that removes snow. It uses wheels or tracks and can be furnished with the chains. It is more favorable because it can clear heavy snowfall. The width and power of a two stage snow blower build them capable to clear long areas quickly and drive snow higher and further. It is more powerful than the single stage snow blower device.
Therefore, do not get confused between the two when looking to buy a snow blower.
There are some shortcut tips provided below that one should use when buying a snow blower.
- Perform a pre-check-> It is first required to observe whether the gas tank is full or there are all accessories like shear pins, skid shoes and scraper blade installed on it or everything is systematically done.
- The snow discharging place should be planned properly.
- It should be started in an open area.
- Should use both hands when the snow blower is running.
- Should make slow comfortable turn.
- Two stage blowers is the best option for removing gravel surfaces.