An air compressor can be defined as a mechanical tool that is used to consolidate or compress the force of atmospheric air inside the tank. These tool or device has got many uses and makes work easier in various industries. Air compressor can be used to inflate tires, swimming pools or even balloons. In automotive and construction industries, they are used in cutting metals from vehicles or cutting pieces of metals to be used in installation purposes. Painting of vehicles can also be done in a smooth and easier way using the air compressor. Air compressors come in two types, electric or gas, but every type is available with few and different variations.
Some of these compressors are small and portable in size, while others are large and stationary. The amount of power the compressor has will generally coincides with the size of the compressor. Mostly large size compressor are best suited in industrial applications and these tools has ability to be used by more than one person simultaneously. These machines also vary in stages single to two stages. The two stage motor can change speed in a rigorous actions. Basically the two stage machine works harder compared to one stage machine.
Table of Contents
How To Use An Air Compressor?
The following are guidelines on how to use the air compressor
Setting up the machine
- Start by checking up the levels of oil in the pump to ensure that the oil levels is ok for use. This can be done by locating the dipstick near the bottom ends of the compressor. Pull the stick out and check to see if the oil levels is enough. Normally the appropriate levels of oil is 2/3 of the way up your stick. Add some compressor oil if it is not enough.
- Set your air compressor on a flat ground and attach the hose into the regulator valve. You only push the pointed end of the hose to fit into a valve to correctly attach it.
- Plug the power tool to the hose by holding your hose in one hand and then the power tool in the other hand. You will then slide the plug of the tool into the hose freely and then twist them together till they are locked up in place.
- Plug the air compressor into the grounded three prong outlet and ensure that you have turned the power off before plugging the device into the grounded three prong outlet.
Operating the air compressor
- Put on closed-toed shoes and safety goggles to operate your tools safely
- Pull on safety valve in order to test your machine . locate the copper-colored cable near a hose line and tug it to release the valve.
- Turn the compressor on and wait for the pressure tank to pressurize. This can be done by flipping the electrical switch on and watch the movements of the pressure gauge.
- Check your device to find out how much pressure the device needs
- Locate the pressure regulator knob and then adjust it to match the device’s PSI. It is normally located at the hose. Find it then twist it counterclockwise for easy increment of air flowing through to the hose. Keenly watch the pressure gauge until it reaches the level that you need
- The moment the tool is pressurized and the air is inside the hose, you can then operate the power tool. The pressure in the tank will automatically drop and then begin refilling. No need of adjustments until the user switch into the different tool.
Shutting the machine off and maintaining it
- Open the pressure tank and drain the valve to allow easy condensation. This can be done by twisting the valve counterclockwise for air to blow out the collected moisture. Return the valve in place by twisting in clockwise
- Turn the compressor off to drain any pressure that may have remained in the pressure tank
- Unplug the air compressor and then remove the hose
- Store your air compressor and ensure you replace the oil regularly for easy and smooth performance.
Air compressor is basically a device used in various industries to compress the air. This machine makes work easy and is widely used in different situations. These device has greatly find its way into the basements, homeworkshops and garages. The tool has a great ability of handling every job perfectly from inflating the tire into powering tools like the nail guns, drills, sanders, staplers and even impact wrenches. Air compressor is one of the machine that you can have to make your work smooth and easy. If you have not purchased one , it is therefore recommended to have one at your home workshop.