This is a new article that will show you some of the best TIG welders you should consider purchasing right now.
There are lots of different TIG welder machines in the world, so you can find it difficult to find the best machine that is suitable for you. Now, in this article, we will show you some of the best tips that may be useful to help you choose the best TIG welder for home use.
Table of Contents
- How To Choose The Best Stick Welder And Reviews:
- How To Choose TIG Welder ?
- Best TIG Welder Reviews 2019
- Best TIG welder under $300
- Best TIG welder under $500
- Best TIG welder under $1000
- Best TIG welder under $2000
How To Choose The Best Stick Welder And Reviews:
Welding is the process of mixing 2 pieces of metal with heat. We can see welding in our homes, and shops. While steel may be the most common metal used to weld, welders also work with other metals. Besides, welders also operate in all different kinds of environments. Generally, welding takes on a few different forms, including TIG welder. These welders perform one of the most common kinds of welding. Now, before learning how to choose the best TIG welder, you need to know what TIG welding machine is.
What Is TIG Welder ?
TIG welding can be used for welding many types of metals that are reactive at room temperature. A TIG welder often works with stainless aluminum or steel, but it can also work on other metals. In order to use a TIG welder, we need to hold the rod of the welder in one hand while holding the heat source in the other. Then, we melt the rod into the metal so that there is connection between two pieces. And during this process, we need to blow tungsten inert gas into the weld in order to protect it from any contaminates or particles in the air. TIG welding should not cause any spatter, sparks, smoke or fumes.
TIG welder is used for critical joints and for small or extremely precise welds. Besides, it can be used for a variety of metals. If performed correctly, it can produce a high-quality weld if compared with other welding processes. The price for the services of TIG welding is also affordable, but it will be various, depending on the metals being welded.
Apart from advantages, TIG welders also other some disadvantages. Firstly, there are some metals we cannot weld with TIG welder. Secondly, TIG welder should only be used on clean metals. This is because welding dirty metals can cause a weaker weld quality. Thirdly, this welding process takes a high level of dexterity and skill to perform if compared with other kinds of welder. Another drawback of TIG welding is that we can find it difficult to take apart 2 welded products without destroying each one. Moreover, although the cost for TIG welding is affordable, the process has to be done by an experienced welder, hence resulting in higher labor costs. The last disadvantage of TIG welder is that when done improperly, contaminations, as well as unbalanced heating can cause defective or warped products, hence causing wasted materials and cost increase.
How To Choose TIG Welder ?
If you are looking for a cheap way to join two metals, you can consider choose TIG welder. On the market today, there is a variety of TIG welders with different features. Some features you should consider when purchasing TIG welder include:
Pulsed welding: TIG welder is all about controlling the heat that is applied to the metal. According to the manufacturers, the latest TIG welders can create the higher number of pulses for each second than older TIG welders. TIG pulsing can be used for thin metal or difficult joints. The higher the pulsing rate is, the stronger the weld will be. With higher pulsing rate, welders will travel faster along the metal and you will have a cleaner welding. Therefore, if appearance is important for your welding or you have to weld lots of thin metal, TIG welders with high pulsing rate should be your solutions.
Foot pedal: A reliable foot pedal is a vital factor for TIG welding. Pedals allow welders to control the heat input with the foot. Besides, the best foot pedal should not slope at too high in order to avoid causing foot fatigue.
Amperage range: When selecting a TIG welder, you should choose the machine that offers the widest amperage range. This is because a TIG machine with a narrow amperage range will be able to limit the variety of welding materials. Meanwhile, a welder with a range of 5 to 230A offers the flexibility you require.
AC and DC welding: If you want to weld more than just stainless or steel, the right TIG welder should have both AC and DC options. For instance, you should use AC on metals such as aluminum and magnesium and DC on metals like deoxidized copper and stainless steel.
Easy to use: A good TIG welder should be easy to use and control. Even for entry level users.
Quality design: Many TIG welders also offer some extra features that contribute to overall lifespan and durability. For example, some TIG welders have cooling fans that run continuously, or after the machine heats up. And, having constantly running fan can cause the reduction in the machine’s life by drawing in lots of dust and dirt. Meanwhile, thermostatically controlled fans allow the inside of the welder to thermally cycle between cold and hot. Ideally, a running fan should only offer cooling if needed.
Choosing the best TIG welder for a beginner involves more factors than just purchasing for the lowest price. You should choose a TIG machine that makes high quality welds, even on very heat sensitive materials. Beyond that, you should choose a machine that has enough versatility, right controls and amperage range.
Best TIG Welder Reviews 2019
|Images||Dimensions||Weight||Voltage||Amperage Range||Editor’s Rating|
|Amico TIG 160 Amp Torch ARC Stick DC Welder||16.6 x 7.5 x 11.8||15 lbs||110V/230V||160 A||4.7/5|
|Mophorn Tig Welder 160 Amp Tig Stick Welder||26 x 17 x 13||-||110/220V||160 A||4.4/5|
|Goplus MMA TIG ARC IGBT Welding Machine 200 AMP||13.4 x 5.1 x 8.7||24 lbs||110/220V||200 A||4.5/5|
|Amico TIG-225 / 220 Amp||16 x 6.5 x 12||30 lbs||115V/230V||220 A||4.9/5|
|EVERLAST PowerARC 140||20 x 12.5 x 13.5||24.8 lbs||120/240V||140 A||4.2/5|
|AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200-Amp||19 x 23 x 12||38 lbs||110V/220V||200 A||4.3/5|
|Mophorn TIG200 200A||26 x 25 x 16||-||110V/220V||200 A||4.4/5|
|LOTOS TIG200 200A||28 x 13 x 17||58 lbs||110V/220V||200 A||4.0/5|
|Hobart 500551 EZ-TIG 165i AC/DC TIG Welder||26.8 x 13.7 x 20.8||50 lbs||230V||-||3.8/5|
|Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200 TIG Welder||20 x 20 x 13||73.2 lbs||110V/220V||200 A||3.7/5|
Selecting a high-quality TIG welder may be difficult, especially for the beginners. So, in this article, we will show you some of the best TIG welding machines on the market. Now, you should read the best TIG welder reviews to find out the best machine for you.
Best TIG welder under $300
1 – Amico TIG 160 Amp Torch ARC Stick DC Welder 110/230V Dual Voltage Welding Machine New
This powerful welder can weld up to 3/8″ alloy steel, stainless steel, mild steel, cast iron, copper, and chrome. It has full-size TIG and stick platform, with voltage control and 60% duty cycle. The power source of this welding machine can offer stronger and more stable arc. It is easy to design into welding process with dynamic characteristics, even for making arc softer or harder. Besides, this machine can be used on many different metals such as stainless steel, copper, carbon steel as well as other color metals.
Some technical details are:
- Dual voltage input 110V/230V
- Output range DC 20-160A
- 14.5 pounds
- Electrode holder and cable 10ft.
- Work clamp and cable 10 ft.
This TIG welding machine offers some advantages, including:
- Delivering a flawless weld, making the post-weld cleanup unnecessary
- Having ability to plug into any power supply
- Offering one year warranty
- Light weight
However, this welder also has a drawback. Some people have complained about the button on the torch handle that can cause depression during welding.
2 – Mophorn Tig Welder 160 Amp Tig Stick Welder
At around $200, you can choose this Mophorn tool for both home use and professional works thanks to its lightweight construction and 2-in-1 application. Accordingly, there are two welding types to choose from, Arc stick welder and TIG Welder. Please note that the recommended output current for Arc welding is between 20A and 160A. Meanwhile, the current for TIG welding can be a bit higher, from 20A to 160A.
A snapshot of the Mophorn TIG Welder 160Amp’s features:
- 2-in-1 welder: TIG welding or Arc welding
- Dual voltage input (110V/220V) and adjustable output current (up to 160A)
- 60% Duty Circle
- Safe and flexible dissipation and protection. The cooling system is included
- A portable and easy-to-use welder
First to claim: all features work well, at least in my case.
- The welding function is quick and clean since this tool is compatible with φ Max.3.2mm acid and the alkaline electrode.
- You can weld steel, stainless steel, chrome, titanium, and many other metals.
- This tool supports a great cooling system to protect the welder and lengthen its lifespan.
- Moreover, the Mophorn TIG Welder 160A has the ability to adjust the current decay time and the gas delay time between 0-15s. This feature is helpful for a safer welding.
- There are small errors sometimes.
- Its uncommon twist-lock plug (the European style) makes it hard to find the replacement when needed.
However, this welder is still acceptable. The features are surprisingly rich considering its price.
3 – Goplus MMA TIG ARC IGBT Welding Machine
Here comes the Goplus 200 AMP ARC MMA IGBT Welding Machine. This is a recommendation from my father. He has used more TIG welders than I have. So if he tells this machine is worth your money, then you should never miss it. This welder is 13.4 x 5.1 x 8.7 inches in size and 16 pounds in weight. Such a lightweight design makes it suitable for various places, from home to your workplace.
Highlight features you must try now:
- Work well at 200A and 100/200V DC
- Support advanced inverter welder
- Compensate automatically in the event of voltage fluctuation
- Ensure the safe welding thanks to reinforced nylon panel & over-work protection.
- I hardly expected the inverter technology to come at such an affordable price.
- The inverter TIG technology increases the welding productivity and the results’ quality.
- Goplus MMA TIG Welding will save more energy and produce greater portability.
- I also appreciate its security reinforcement using the nylon panel and protection against common mistakes like over voltage or over current.
- From my father’s experience, this welder has many parts.
- If a small component goes wrong, it will not work properly. Even worse, the machine does not start.
- So, be careful. Look for a professional helping hand if needed.
Best TIG welder under $500
4 – Amico TIG-225 / 220 Amp HF TIG Torch/Stick/Arc Welder
The next to mention as one of the best TIG welders under $500 is manufactured by Amico. Another multifunction welder on today’s list. Specifically, you can choose either of TIG welding or Arc welding and apply it to various metals. Many advanced technologies are equipped such as IGBT inverter, HF & High Voltage start, LCD Amperage Display, etc. With the support of wide amp range (15-220A), this tool can even weld thin workpiece.
Here come specifications of Amico TIG – 225/220 Amps:
- Adjustable input power up to 230V and wide output current (15-220A)
- A 3-in-1 combo of TIG welding, Stick welding and Arc welding
- 60% Duty Cycle at 220A
- Safe securrity including air fan cooling and IP21S protection
- Lightness and compact design
- Once again, I fall for the advanced inverter technology, thanks to which this welder provides a stronger and more focused arc. In return, the welding speed is increased.
- Other features work as described.
- The lightweight construction allows easy carrying, for both hobbyist and professional work.
So far so good. I have nothing to complain about this welder. Thinking about its price, this tool works even beyond my expectation.
This TIG earns almost 5-star on Amazon. It seems that numerous people love it.
5 – EVERLAST PowerARC 140 140amp Lift Start TIG / Stick IGBT Welder Dual Voltage
If you are looking for a TIG welder machine that is superior flexibility and performance, Everlast PowerARC Lift Start TIG / Stick IGBT Welder may be your best choice. It is designed to be a multi-purpose welder, using for both stick and DC TIG welding purpose. The machine features 140A double voltage of 120 to 240V.
Some technical details are:
- Duty cycle of 35% at rated amps.
- Automatic Hot Start for reducing electrode sticking
- Digital display to get easy current setting
- Lift Start DC TIG setting for welding steel and stainless
This welding machine is portable and offers some advantages:
- Lightweight and portability.
- Having ability to use for dual purposes.
- User friendly and easy to use.
- Ideal for commercial, professional, and normal welding jobs.
In terms of disadvantages of this machine, some users have reported that they cannot use this machine for heavy-duty jobs. Besides, customer service support is occasionally not as good as expected.
Best TIG welder under $1000
6 – AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200-Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with Pulse 110V and 200V – I Highly Recommended
This TIG welder is most commonly used on aluminum and stainless steel, but it is rated to be ideal for other metals as well. Whether you use this machine for home repairs, business or hobby welding, this machine will surprise you.
Some technical details are:
- Advanced Inverter technology with Pulse Width Modulation
- Square-wave inverter welding with pulse frequency
- HF start TIG and a foot pedal for better welding control and operation
- Just weigh 38 pounds
- Pulse frequency range 5 to 5HZ
- Pulse AMP control 10-200 A
This AHP AlphaTIG 200X 200-Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder offer some advantages that make it a highly-recommended TIG welding machine under 1000. Some advantages include:
- Having ability to work on thin materials.
- Simple set up and operation
- Quality TIG welding on stainless, aluminum, or steel
This welder is heavier than some other models. Instead, it is just okay to move around at home or in your garage. However, if you need to move it a little for a small business, you may need to ask someone else for help.
7 – Mophorn TIG200 200A AC/DC Aluminum Tig/Stick Welder
The basic features are similar to the Mophorn TIG Welder 160 Amp and more. Most visibly, the output current is higher, from 20A to 200A. Besides the AC/DC inverter technology, the PWM is developed along to save more power and reduce the noise.
The full list of highlight features you should pay attention to:
- 2-in-1 function welder: TIG welding or MMA welding
- The dual voltage at 110V or 220V – high output current: 20-200A
- 60% Duty Cycle
- Both AC/DC inverter and PWM technologies
- Premium IP21 protection against overvoltages, overcurrent or overheating. Plus, the cooling fan is included
- Lightweight in design and easy arc to start
I have shared some benefits of inverter technology. That of the Morphorn TIG200 is also nice and smooth.
Here I want to talk about the PWM – what I like about this welder.
- For those who might be interested, PWM is short for Pressure Welding Machines.
- This cooling welder helps to complete and creates a bond between the materials without using heat. It is really helpful to fasten the welding as well as to make it safer and less power-consuming.
This TIG welder support 220VAC. It is a small issue since finding the 220VAC here in the U.S.A is a bit hard.
That time, the manufacturer advised swagging the plug. But none user guide or note is available in the package. You must fix it by your experience with TIG welders.
8 – LOTOS TIG200 200A AC/DC Aluminum Tig/Stick Welder
Although almost all TIG welders suggested in this post are helpful for both home repairs or professional work. If you want to invest something that has industrial-quality features, take this LOTOS TIG200 into account.
The features are rich and certified:
- The dual voltage at either 110VAC or 200VAC, along with dual frequency at 50Hz/60Hz
- Advanced square-wave inverter technology and HF start
- Ability to generate power efficiency at 80%
- Certified: IP21 Protection; ISO-9001 certification; ETL approval; CE; CCC; CSA; etc.
- It is worth every penny.
- I really like its TIG welding, especially when working with aluminum. You might all know that this metal is hard to weld compared with mild steel.
- Hence, TIG welding is in need to use the AC welding and electrode cycle to etch away the aluminum oxide and then, to input heat for the aluminum welding.
- Get back to the LOTOS TIG200, I have successfully welded ⅜ aluminum work without any problem.
I have not checked all functions yet, but the highlight features work well as advertised. Excellent!
- It is good in features and affordable in price.
- However, it is better to improve more regarding the foot petal.
- First, it seems too long.
- Second, when turning off the machine, you have to switch from TIG welding to Stick welding or from petal to no pental. It takes a little time.
Best TIG welder under $2000
9 – Hobart 500551 EZ-TIG 165i AC/DC TIG Welder 230V
The Hobart 500551 EZ TIG 165i welding machine provides a single knob control, making it the fastest AC/DC TIG welder to control and operate. You can find it easy to set-up, and the only thing you need to do is to plug the welder into the 230 VAC, attaching the gas and choosing the material and thickness you want to weld. Plus, this is also one of the best TIG welder for thin aluminum that you should not skip.
Some technical details are:
- AC output for aluminum welding and DC output for stainless steel welding
- Allowing the fan to run if required
- Amperage control for nicer control and wider operating range
- Weighing only 50 lb.
- Having HF start and foot-operated control
- Inverter-based power source
- Automatic shutdown
- Work cable 12 ft. attached with a clamp
This TIG welder brings some specific advantages, including:
- Providing a unique single knob control, making it easier to control and use.
- Easy to set up and use
- Providing robust weld performance if compared to other models
- Easy to carry about
- Using less energy
However, this welding machine has a little drawback. It is that this welder is attached with a 3/32″ cullet as well as cullet body. So, if you have 1/16″, or 0.20″ electrodes, you may need to order separately for these electrodes.
10 – Square Wave® TIG 200 TIG Welder K5126-1
For the money, the dual TIG/stick welding machine you can buy on the market is the Square Wave TIG 200. From its capabilities of AC and DC to its stick welding capabilities, there is not much this machine has left out. Some of its top features are adjustable AC balance, high-frequency starting, and an inverter based design for portability and unmatched power. Besides, this machine provides smooth AC TIG welding on materials like aluminum as well as DC TIG welding on materials such as steel, chrome-moly and stainless steel.
Some technical details are:
- 200 amps output
- Input power: 120-230V
- Pulse: 0.1-20 per second
- Foot Amptrol, Ground Clamp and Stick Electrode Holder
This TIG welding machine gives you some beneficial features and some of them include:
- Having AC balance and frequent adjustment
- Work on well on aluminum
- Having high-frequency start and simple control interface
- Having foot pedal control for safer using
In terms of disadvantages of the Square Wave® TIG 200 TIG welder, the first thing is that it is a bit pricey. However, the price is worth paying because of its excellent performance on welding jobs.
Purchasing the best TIG welder is not easy for many users, especially the entry level users. You must choose the machine that has good quality welding on many different materials. Additionally, you have to make sure that you pick a machine with adequate amperage range, automatic controls and adaptability. And, with this TIG welder review 2019, you can find the best machine that suits all of your requirements.